Clogged Toilet Repair | How Did You Get Here
Clogged toilets are a pain. Nobody wants to deal with a toilet that won't flush, and figuring out how to fix the problem can be frustrating. Before you call a plumber for clogged toilet repair, there are a few things you should know:
What Should You Never Flush Down the Toilet?
There are some seemingly innocuous things that get flushed often but shouldn't be, including:
- Dental floss. Dental floss can wind its way around other, smaller blockages in your home's plumbing system and create a massive ball of gunk.
- Kitty litter. Kitty litter comes in two main options: clumping and gravel. The clumping kind forms a hard chunk when it gets wet, making it easier for cat owners to scoop the little box. If you try and flush it, however, all that kitty litter combined with all that water will be a disaster of epic proportions.
- Cleaning wipes. From bleach wipes for counters to diaper wipes for babies, the world now has a disposable wipe for everything. Disposable is a word used loosely here. They are not flushable -- not even if the container says you can. Wipes are a clog waiting to happen.
How Can You Try to Unclog The Toilet Yourself?
There are a few tricks you can try to deal with your toilet before calling the plumber for clogged toilet repair, including:
- Plunger. Use a plunger to plunge the toilet several times. Be sure to cover the entire opening of the drain so that you create a seal, which will allow you to build up enough pressure to break through the clog. You may have to do this repeatedly as the clog works its way through the lines.
- Hot water. Pour a bucket of hot water into the toilet bowl. This will help break up any clogs that are caused by grease or soap buildup.
- Chemicals. Some over-the-counter products are designed to break up clogs in sinks and toilets. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions on the back of the bottle.
Clogged toilets are never fun. Knowing what not to flush and how to try and fix a clogged toilet before calling the plumber out can be beneficial. Always use caution when working with plumbing fixtures to avoid damaging your toilet or making the problem worse.
For more information about how to fix a clogged toilet, reach out to local plumbing services, such as Affordable Plumbing Maintenance.